Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Glinda The Good Witch, at the Eleventh Hour

So I JUST found out that our office isn't doing just your standard 'dress up for Halloween if you feel like it' thing.....rather I was appointed the role of Glinda the Good Witch since apparently we're themeing the office this year to the Wizard of Oz. Fine with me, except it's Tuesday (I found out yesterday afternoon) and we're dressing for Friday.


HELP! What do I do? Let's consider a few factors - #1: There's no way a costume will be delivered by Friday if ordered online, and there's even a slimmer chance that I'll spend $50 on the costume itself and then $20 to have it overnighted. I like being participative, but c`mon. #2: Every costume shop is picked over, on top of not even having the costume to begin with. I ransacked maybe 6 stores yesterday and found every character from Dorothy, to a freakin' flying monkey, with no traces of Glinda ever being available. #3: At this point, anything I do is going to be a "Hail Mary" effort.

With all of that being said...here are what I find to be my best options -

*Option A: I have a pink satin gown that I wore to the Prom in like 10th grade still at my mother's. If I can manage to squeeze into that, I might be able to pull off a 'psuedo-Glinda/Miss America' look if I accessorize right. That is....if it fits.
*Option B: Or I can cross my fingers, try and locate a Thrift Shop Prom/Wedding dress, dye it pink, and pray it works. I've got an idea for the crown using vellum paper and lots of sparkly crap...and well, a wand is a wand...those are a dime a dozen. However, given my luck with this...I wouldn't be surprised if a shortage of wands occurred immediately after I post this.

Chances are, I might resemble Glinda somewhat if I just wrap whatever I end up in with toole and glitter...so it might not be too horrible....but how did I get stuck with the HUGE costume? Granted, I'm the only blonde in the office...but like any relatively elaborate costume, this will take some space to move in...and I BETTER NOT have any customer visits that day. Yikes.

Please supply me with any amazing, helpful ideas for this....or mail me any spare Glinda costumes you might have. I'll appreciate any help I can get.

I'll keep you updated as to how it all turns out.


PS: Now that this is over with...here's the final result:

1 comment:

  1. Your costume came out great considering your time frame! My kids want me to dress up as Glinda to go with their Oz theme, but I'm in the same predicament. How did you make crown? What was the decision on the dress?
    Thanks, From a Park Slope mom

    ReplyDelete